Wednesday 4 January 2012

Flash cards

I mentioned earlier today that Nic had expressed a wish to have some proper flash cards made. I perused amazon and found a set of basic flash cards for kids to the laughable price of £0.22! Though to be fair they actually charged seven quid to send them over here... It was still a pretty good deal!


I of course do not possess the patience to wait for those to arrive to test the idea of using flash cards with Nic so I set to making some of my own this evening. My total lack of planning skills made it harder than expected to come up with sensible words to start with. I was going to go with some food vocab seeing as we have been meaning to get into the Spanish breakfast thing again but the ones we would get the most use out of are the same ones the kids already know. In the end the selection of words turned out slightly random but nevertheless all the children seemed thrilled by them. :)



I made 18 cards with nouns on them and the a few bigger ones with useful phrases. At first I tried using all of the small ones but they were too many for Nic to remember, so I selected 7 that were more or less related (mesa, silla, plato, vaso, queso, cama, libro), and we played with those for a bit. And then we added three of the phrases; 'tengo hambre','tengo sed' and 'estoy cansado'. We did this at bedtime and Nic was sure that latter one was made to trick him into actually being sleepy. LOL. Christiania came in and wanted to flip through them as well, and then I assured them that the promised spelling test would be given tomorrow. (What precious geeks they are!)

Ben doesn't read very well yet, and with no pictures the home made cards were not for him. Instead we played with the new Flip Cards App on my phone. With this app I can make my own sets of flash cards with pictures and/or text. I had made a set with the colours. He still remembered azul, rojo, naranja, blanco and verde, which impressed me no end, and he picked up rosa (same in Norwegian), gris (meaning 'pig' in Norwegian) and negro fairly quickly, but struggles a bit to remember púrpura, marrón and amarillo. I'm chuffed to fluffy fairy feathers that he can remember this much! He's a genius, surely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment